Camp Horizons Family Camp
Finally, a camp experience for the whole family!
Now is the time to reconnect–with your family and with the great outdoors! Camp Horizons Family Camp is a new opportunity to visit our 300-acre campus and experience the magic of camp. Just 2 hours from Washington DC and Richmond, Camp Horizons Family Camp is the perfect getaway. Family Camp includes flexible activity schedules, fresh cooked meals, and an individual cabin rental. Elevate your stay with a cabin upgrade or activity add-ons like equestrian programs or off-site trips!
You don’t need to be a past camper family, or even have kids for that matter, to attend Camp Horizons Family Camp. Each summer we sing, “We are many, we are one,” and with that, your “family” can be whoever you want it to be! All ages and stages can enjoy Family Camp, and we cannot wait to say “welcome home” to camper families new and old, alumni, and anyone looking to enjoy the great outdoors.
The last few months have been difficult for all of us, and we hope our Family Camp programs will provide you with a restorative, exciting, and well deserved camp experience! Come enjoy the excitement of Camp Horizons as a family and do a variety of activities with some of our fantastic summer staff.
Dates and Rates
Camp Horizons Family Camp offers 3 program lengths based on how many activity days your family is interested in.
- Full Week Stay: Sunday – Friday (4 full activity days)
- Half-Week Stay: Wednesday – Sunday (3 full activity days)
- Weekend Stay: Friday – Sunday (1 full activity day)
For current Camp Horizons families:
- You can use your existing 2020 tuition to pay for Family Camp! Select “Use my 2020 Tuition” while registering online.
- We are offering a Refer a Family incentive! If you refer a family for this summer, your family will receive a $50 credit to Swap Shop (1 credit maximum). Additionally, if the family you refer signs up for the 2021 summer, they are eligible for our returning camper discount.
- Event (Family Camp) registration is separate from Summer Camp registration. You can create a new profile by clicking “Register now!”
Activities + Add-ons
Camp Horizons Family Camp offers a schedule with some of our most popular camp activities. Activity periods rotate throughout the day, so you’ll have an opportunity to try everything at least once. Activities will be limited to ~16 people per activity period to allow for social distancing and individual equipment use. We wrap up the day with a fun and unique Evening Program, leaving you free after that for a village campfire or stargazing.
The available activities are dependent on the days of your stay. Please review the Family Camp Schedule to see what will be offered during your Full Week, Half-Week, or Weekend stay.
Almost all activities, including Evening Programs, are included in your registration cost. However horseback, off-site tubing, and off-site canoeing are available for an additional cost. These add-on activities can be put into your reservation during registration, or can be added upon arrival.
optional Add-on Activities:
- Off-site Canoeing or Tubing*: $40.00/person (age 10 minimum)
- *Note: Weekend groups may only select 1 off-site river trip (canoeing or tubing) per person due to scheduling
- Horseback: $35.00/person
- Ring Ride (ages 5-9)
- Trail Ride (ages 10+)
Not interested in our staffed activities? Feel free to bounce between the pool or lake, or check out sports equipment to use around camp’s common areas.
Additionally, you’re not required to stay on camp for your whole stay. If you would like to go into town to explore, drive along Skyline, or go hiking at Fridley’s Gap (a nearby hiking trail and watering hole), you are more than welcome to! We ask that if you plan to miss any of the meals to please let a director know beforehand so we can minimize our food waste. We will provide you with a resource of maps and trails of the area, restaurants downtown, and local fun attractions upon arrival.
Food + Beverage
Full days at camp require refueling with hearty family style meals! Chef Rob and the fantastic dining team will be serving elevated versions of our camp classics. You can see the full menu by day below. If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please make sure they are noted on your registration form. Most needs can be met, please call us if you have any specific questions!
To ensure the safety of our guests we’ve implemented some changes to our dining policies for Family Camp:
- While we normally eat buffet style, all meals will be done family style this summer to minimize movement around in the dining hall. Your family will be assigned a table of your own for the duration of your stay
- Tables at the dining hall will be spread out to ensure proper distancing
- All of our dining staff will wear masks or face shields and gloves while preparing and serving food
2020 Family Camp Menu
Families are permitted to bring their own food and drinks. The Swap Shop will also be stocked with more snack items than normal, so if you’re missing anything we’ve got you covered. As you are packing for your stay we do ask that you keep a few things in mind:
- As we are a nut-aware camp, please do not bring any food that contains nuts.
- Because of our location in the woods, we recommend that any food you bring stays in a plastic container.
- Alcohol is allowed; however, we ask that beverages are not in any glass containers. Please be conscious of alcohol use. Alcohol is not permitted in activity areas
Lodging + Cabin Upgrades
The “camp” in Family Camp is best experienced by camping out in our bunk style lodging! Each village hosts a number of cabins as well as a communal campfire circle. Each family will be housed in an individual cabin complete with restroom and shower. Families are expected to bring their own bed and bath linens.
During Family Camp we will be using Starlight, Sunrise, and Sunset villages on a rotating basis. Standard cabin rentals are assigned, and we will not be honoring cabin requests. Cabin maximums vary by village.
Optional Cabin Upgrades:
Spaces are limited and provided on a first come first serve bases.
Starlight 9 & 10
Check out Starlight 9 or 10 efficiency cabins, which feature a queen sized bed and two twin beds. These cabins are climate controlled, carpeted, sport an upgraded bathroom and include linens for an additional 45.00 per family per night. Only 2 families can snag this awesome deal each week! Max 4 per cabin.
Mountain Valley Cabin
Looking for comfort, enjoy our premier Mountain Valley cabin upgrade. Lodge families of 2-4 in a relaxing climate controlled environment. All bed and bath linens are included along with in cabin television and Wi-Fi for and additional $50.00 first person per night and $20.00 for each additional person per night . Max 4 per cabin.
Enjoy our Exclusive Directors cabin upgrade and see how our Directors live every summer. This cabin features a full kitchen, living room, bathroom, 2 bedrooms with full beds and loft with 2 twin beds, all linens included. Enjoy this upgrade for an additional $60.00 per first person per night and $20.00 for all additional persons per night. Only one family will get this lucky upgrade, so you’ll need to act fast to lock in this gem! Max 6 per cabin.
1. Why can you run Family Camp, but you couldn’t run traditional camp?
- While in traditional camp we bring campers from all over to live together in a cabin and do activities mixed with other campers, Family Camp will look a bit different. Each family will have their own cabin and bathroom. Activities and meals will also be done by family, and social distancing practices will be followed.
- Phase 2 guidelines in Virginia state that overnight summer camps may not run. We do not know when we will move into Phase 3, and even then overnight camps are not allowed to run. However, campgrounds are allowed to be open in Phase 2 and 3.
- While we were confident in our plan to run a safe and successful traditional camp program, the lack of clarity and guidance from the governor’s office prevented us from making a decision on traditional camp any later, however with our supplies and protocols already in place, we feel this will be an easy shift.
2. Are pets allowed?
- We ask that you leave your pets at home. The farm and barn are filled with animals excited to see you!
3. Is smoking allowed?
- Camp Horizons is a tobacco free facility. We ask that you do not smoke or vape on the property
4. What do we need to bring?
- View the Camp Horizons Family Camp Packing List
- You are also encouraged to bring your own bikes and fishing poles if you are interested in using our trails or fishing at the lake
4. Will Swap Shop be open?
- Yes! We will have a staff member in Swap Shop to buy merchandise and snacks each day from 9am-5pm. Be sure to check out our 2020 apparel!
- We will have movie concessions, S’mores packs, bug spray, sunscreen, and farm produce available to purchase
- The Swap Shop also has board games, puzzles, sporting equipment, and yard games available for checkout at no additional cost. Items will be sanitized after each use
5. What kind of safety and cleaning procedures will you all be doing?
- We ask that you all do a health screen before you arrive for your stay. We will also do a temperature check on every guest during check-in. If anyone has a temperature of 100.4 or higher, we will ask that you return home. A full refund will be provided
- All common areas will be cleaned on a rotation multiple times a day. We use FDA approved cleaners, and all of our housekeeping staff will wear gloves and masks while cleaning. Our housekeeping staff will not enter your cabins during your stay.
- We have installed additional sinks and hand sanitizer stations around camp for easy access
- All of our staff receive daily temperature checks before beginning work and anyone with a temperature over 100.4 will be immediately sent home
- All of our staff will be in masks during activities that require staffing.
- If you want to wear a mask you are more than welcome to. However, we are not requiring our guests to wear masks
- We’ve structured activities and meals to allow for social distancing. We ask that you practice social distancing with other families, however the onus is on you all
- There is a waiver that we are requiring all participants to sign upon registration, please make sure to read through it and contact us with any questions