Where is Camp Horizons?
We are located just north of Harrisonburg, Virginia at 3586 Horizons Way.
We are located around 2 hours from Washington DC, Richmond, and Roanoke. The closest international airport is Washington-Dulles (IAD).
Essential Eligibility Criteria
It is our goal to partner with parents/guardians to work together to determine if Camp Horizons will be a positive experience for your camper prior to their enrollment. Safe participation requires certain physical, mental, emotional, and social health abilities, and staff are not specialized in serving those with special needs including certain mental, emotional, social, or behavioral difficulties. These requirements are not intended to be exclusionary, but to provide a safe and positive environment for all campers and staff. As each camper’s ability to participate is unique, decisions to accept a participant are made on an individual basis. As such, if your camper meets any of the following, you must contact us prior to enrolling:
- Has had any physical health concerns that could impact their time at camp (illnesses, broken bones, mobility issues, recent surgeries, etc.)
- Has had any mental health concerns in the last year, including anxiety, depression, etc.
- Has been diagnosed with any learning or behavioral disabilities (autism, ODD, CD, etc.)
- Is in a self-contained classroom or requires an aid at school
Please use the following criteria, developed according to the American Camp Association recommendations, as a guide to assess your camper’s readiness for camp. A baseline for participation in our programming, without added accommodations, entails the following:
- Can your camper take care of their own personal hygiene? Campers must know how to wash and brush their own hair, shower independently, and care for their own basic needs
- Are they in good health physically and emotionally?
- Are they able to handle the aspects of summer camp like living independently in a group setting, sharing a cabin with 8-10 other campers?
- Are they able to handle being in loud, busy environments? If not, do they have the tools to express their needs?
- When angry or upset, are they able to keep calm and express their feelings without becoming physical?
- Have they ever spent more than one night away from home?
We want to make sure that we are right for your camper and family and that your camper can participate in our programs. If your camper currently takes any medication for mood or focus, please do not take them off it.
Camp is a big transition for everyone, and we do not want to change anything that could make it more difficult. We expect all campers to abide by our community agreement.
Any camper whose behavior disrupts their cabin or program will be dismissed without refund.
After registration, review, complete, and then double and triple-check the Parent’s Checklist below:
- CampSite Registration Information Complete?
- Camp Fees Paid?
- Forms and Waivers Complete/Submitted?
- Arrival/Check-in Information Prepared?
- Transportation Details Finalized/Completed? (only necessary for airport arrivals)
- Packing List Double and Triple Checked?
- Camper Mail Complete (addressed, mailed, etc.)
- Camp Packing List (for a 1-week session, simply cut the recommended amount in half)
The American Camp Association provides a large number of resources, recommendations, and educational materials for parents and campers on their website dedicated to “camp parents”. Please take some time to visit their website and review the many resources available to you and your child. Please let us know if you find any particular resource incredibly helpful (or not-so-helpful), and we’ll gladly pass that feedback along to the ACA folks.
All staff and campers are required to be vaccinated with the following:
- Chicken Pox
We encourage all campers be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccine.
Campers will arrive by car on Opening Sunday (2 hrs from DC, 2 hrs from Richmond, 2 hours from Roanoke, 4 hrs from Philadelphia). We are no longer offering the bus transportation option from Northern Virginia. We will offer a shuttle for campers flying into Washington-Dulles Airport for a fee.
Dulles International Airport: $100 each way or $200 round trip
Airport Arrival and Departure: Arrivals need to land at Dulles International Airport between 10 am and 2 pm on the Check-In Day (Sunday) of your camper’s session. Departures need to be scheduled to leave Dulles International Airport between 12 pm and 4 pm on the Checkout Day (Saturday) of your camper’s session.
Arrival/check-in takes place from 2:30-4:30 pm on the first day of the camp session (Sunday). You will sign up for a Check-in time through SignUp Genius. These will be in 30-minute slots to prevent congestion. Upon arrival at Camp Horizons, you will be greeted by one of our staff members and you will be directed to parking, check-in, etc. If for some reason you will be late, please call our office (540.896.7600) to let us know ASAP so we can make appropriate arrangements to ensure a warm welcome for your camper.
Checkout/departure takes place from 9:00 am-11:00 am on the last day of the camp session (Saturday). Similar to Check-in, you will sign up for a Checkout time, which will again be in 30-minute slots. Upon arrival, parents and guardians should carefully drive to the same parking area they used during check-in. Additional instructions will be given at that time.
Airport Arrival and Departure: For international campers flying in, arrivals need to land at Dulles International Airport between 10 am and 2 pm on the Check-In Day (Sunday) of your camper’s session. Departures need to be scheduled to leave Dulles International Airport between 12 pm and 4 pm on the Checkout Day (Saturday) of your camper’s session.
Dulles International Airport: $100 each way or $200 round trip
What is your refund policy?
In the case of serious accident, illness, or other extenuating circumstances, refunds will be provided at the discretion of the Camp Director. No refunds or reductions are made for late arrival or early departure from camp. Any camper whose behavior disrupts the camp program or is harmful to themselves or others will be dismissed with no refund.
- For cancellations made before May 1, all fees may be refunded, less a $375 processing fee per camper.
- For cancellations after May 1, all fees may be refunded, less a $750 fee.
- All cancellations after June 1 are nonrefundable