Become the leader you were born to be. The Camp Horizons Leadership Camp is a summer program specifically geared toward high school students and aspiring leaders. Leadership Campers spend their summer gaining valuable leadership skills, making unforgettable memories, and developing a positive and open attitude toward new and unknown things.
Why Follow When You Can Lead?
The Camp Horizons Leadership Camp is a four-week camp program designed to provide leadership training to rising high school seniors (or the equivalent for international campers). Leadership Camp provides intensive training in a variety of leadership skills relative to an array of educational and professional pursuits, and it also equips potential Camp Horizons’ counselors with the skill set they need to be successful camp leaders.
Leadership Campers are asked to assist camp staff in leading camp activities and to eventually take responsibility for designing and implementing a camp activity under the supervision of camp staff. By the end of their fourth week at summer leadership camp, high school students are prepared to trail new paths as up-and-coming leaders in their schools and communities.Specialty Camp Brochure Application
Leadership is one of the most sought-after characteristics for careers in business and government. The Camp Horizons Leadership Camp equips rising high school seniors with the tools, knowledge, and abilities to impact and inspire those around them. Surrounded by the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, Leadership Campers will have unforgettable experiences and learn skills that will help them lead with confidence and ease.
During our four-week leadership summer program, high school students will learn:
- Camp Horizons’ Philosophy
- Camp Horizons’ Policies and Procedures
- Teaching and Supervision Skills
- Developmental Characteristics of Campers
- Goal Setting
- Teamwork and Group Dynamics
- Conflict Resolution
- Program Planning
- Time Management
- And much more…
Leadership Campers are selected through a competitive application process and are expected to carry themselves with a high-level of maturity throughout the program.
To apply for the Leadership Program, please submit a completed Leadership Program Application. Applications are due by Friday, January 13, 2023. Once completed, please submit your application to Liz Heilbronner, Camp Director, at email@example.com for consideration.
Applications will be reviewed, and all applicants notified the first week of February. Please note that there are limited spots in the Leadership Program.
Upon acceptance, you will need to complete the registration form and complete payment prior to June 1st. Please feel free to contact us at 540.896.7600 with any questions you may have.
Each day at Camp Horizons is full of adventure, excitement, and the incredible thrill of learning new things. Here’s a sneak peek at what our Leadership Campers can expect during our four-week program.
We will follow the typical camp schedule (including free swim time) with the addition of a few offsite trips and different focuses each week.
- Team building
- Leadership lessons about being a role model, camp policies, and why each LC wants to be here
- Three-day, two-night backpacking trip
- Leadership lessons on styles of leadership
- Service project with Habitat for Humanity
- Learning about each of the departments and how to teach lessons to different age groups
- Leadership lessons about how to be a leader
- One-night two-day canoe trip
- Shadowing and co-teaching activities in a department of the LC’s choice
- Leading the all-camp mid-session campfire
- Leadership lessons on public speaking and executing leading large scale activities
- Final speeches to camp directors and other full-time staff members about what they are taking away from camp
- Co-teaching/teaching activities in a department of the LC’s choice
- Host the all-camp talent show
Learn More About Our Summer Leadership Camp for High School Students
Get equipped for a future of successful leadership while having an unforgettable summer of adventure. If you are interested in the Camp Horizons Leadership Camp, apply today. To learn more about this exciting program and our other traditional summer camp experiences, give us a call at 540-896-7600 or reach out to us online. We’re excited to play a small part in the lives of the world’s future leaders.